Habitat for Humanity Greater Toronto Area (Habitat GTA) is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information of its employees, supporters, donors, volunteers, and other stakeholders. Habitat for Humanity GTA values the trust of those it deals with, and of the public, and recognizes that maintaining this trust requires that Habitat for Humanity GTA be transparent and accountable in how it treats the information that individuals choose to share with our organization.
In its quest to create a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live, Habitat for Humanity GTA mobilizes volunteers and community partners to help low-income families break the cycle of poverty through affordable homeownership.
Processes, procedures and monitoring responsibilities:
What personal information does Habitat GTA collect?
Habitat GTA collects and maintains different types of personal information about individuals with whom it interacts. The collection of personal information is limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by Habitat GTA.
This information includes:
• Contact and identification information, such as a person’s full name, birth date, home address, telephone number(s) and email address(es);
• Donation information such as date of gift, amount of gift, appeal (the campaign an individual contributed to), name of spouse or partner if it was a joint gift;
• Financial information such as a person’s payment methods and preferences, billing and banking information (credit card number and expiry date or chequing account transfer numbers, whichever payment type the individual prefers in order to process their donation), information that allows us to determine a partner family’s creditworthiness and their eligibility or appropriateness for an ongoing Habitat GTA mortgage, relationship with Habitat GTA (e.g., employment and financial history with others, annual income statements, net worth, and credit reports, police checks and banking details).
• Legal – information and signatures of consent used for the purpose of formalizing legal agreements relating to mortgage relationships (e.g. lawyer contact details and updated income documents for grant applications.)
• Product and service related information concerning the sale of Habitat GTA branded merchandise that we provide to an individual;
• Personal information required to ensure an individual’s safety when working as volunteers in our ReStores, build sites or offices in compliance with health and safety regulations and our Habitat GTA Health and Safety Program;
• Relationship – information that helps us to understand more about an individual including how they like to do business (e.g., language and communication preferences, location and demographics). Personal details and photographs of Habitat GTA homeowners for use to promote Habitat GTA publically.
• Other personal information used for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
When an individual visits the Habitat GTA website, our organization also collects aggregate data to better understand how our website is used, to make sure our information and dynamic content are served correctly, and to improve the performance of our site for our users, particularly the way search pages are delivered. Further information is available below under the heading “Cookies”.
Why does Habitat GTA collect personal information?
Habitat GTA collects personal information to further its mission of mobilizing volunteers and communities to help working, low-income families to break the cycle of poverty through homeownership. Habitat GTA collects this information through fundraising, public education and advocacy, and volunteer programs, as well as to establish, maintain, and manage its relationship with individuals. Certain information is collected to satisfy the requirements of Canada Revenue Agency.
The main reasons Habitat GTA collects information from individuals are to:
• Process donations or provide customer service relating to purchases;
• Contact an individual regarding their participation with Habitat GTA as a volunteer;
• Collect information such as name, address, phone number, email addresses, work history, resume, references, educational background, etc. for human resources hiring processes;
• Determine a partner family’s eligibility to become Habitat GTA homeowners;
• Compile statistical information such as age, gender, financial information, etc. to report on the outcomes and progress of our work to support low-income families;
• Maintain Habitat GTA’s relationship with its supporters and provide them with general information about Habitat GTA’s programs, progress and opportunities for them to support Habitat GTA’s mission.
How does Habitat GTA use personal information?
Habitat GTA does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law. As described above, Habitat GTA uses an individual’s personal information for establishing their identity and determining their eligibility for our home ownership program, fundraising, to process donations, to facilitate your volunteerism with Habitat GTA, for employment purposes, to respond to requests for information, and to periodically keep stakeholders informed and up to date on Habitat GTA’s successes in advancing its mission. In addition, if an individual chooses via our website (www.habitatgta.ca) to subscribe to receive electronic communications from us, Habitat GTA will use their personal information to send them, on occasion, special offers, updates, and service announcements relating to our website, and to invite them to participate in surveys or contests. Habitat GTA may also periodically send individuals appeals and updates on current fundraising campaigns.
Sharing of personal information
Third party service providers may be engaged by Habitat GTA to perform a variety of functions, including mailing our communications, processing donations, fulfilling an individual’s order, processing an individual volunteer waiver or application, processing an individual’s homeownership program participation information and providing technical services for our website. These third party providers may have access to personal information, if needed, to perform the functions for which they are retained. However, Habitat GTA directs that those companies may only use such personal information for the purpose of performing their roles and may not use it for any other purpose or further disclose anyone’s personal information. Some of our third party service providers are located outside of Canada and may be subject to the laws of the foreign jurisdiction in which they are located. In all cases, when personal information is shared with third party service providers, Habitat GTA will demand reasonable assurance that third parties will protect your information in conformity with our privacy practices.
How does Habitat GTA obtain an individual’s consent?
Habitat GTA takes reasonable effort to keep personal information accurate, complete and as up to date as is necessary for the purposes that is being used. Individuals are permitted to check on the accuracy of their personal information and may make, or request, modifications or corrections, if necessary. Habitat GTA depends on individuals and organizations to help it in maintaining the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of the information collected. At any time, Habitat GTA stakeholders can email their address updates, corrections or requests to opt out of email communications by sending an email to [email protected] It normally will take up to 10 business days to take effect.
General privacy practices
Our staff and office volunteers are trained and authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that the information is not disclosed or shared outside of what is strictly necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered. Habitat GTA also takes reasonable measures to ensure the integrity of this information is maintained and to prevent it being lost or destroyed.
Regularly, Habitat GTA stakeholders are given opportunities to choose how often and in what way they wish to hear from our organization. At any time, Habitat GTA supporters and other stakeholders are able to opt out of receiving communication materials or solicitations.
Website and electronic commerce
Our website is operated by Habitat GTA for the benefit of our supporters and other stakeholders.
Personal information, such as email addresses and financial information, collected through the Habitat GTA website is knowingly and specifically supplied to our organization by the website user. Habitat GTA uses password protocols and encryption software to protect personal and other information it receives when a product or service is requested and/or paid for online.
All information, including credit card information is encrypted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) 128-bit encryption to help ensure the safety and security of online transactions. Habitat GTA does not retain credit card information after the completion of an online transaction.
For website users under 18, they must obtain their parent’s or guardian’s permission before sending any personal information (such as full name, address, email, address, etc.) to Habitat GTA or anyone else over the internet. Habitat GTA encourages parents to get involved with their children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which their children are participating.
There are links on the Habitat GTA website that take you to other websites outside of our service. Any links provided to third party websites outside of www.habitatgta.ca are provided solely for convenience. The operation and content of such third party websites is beyond Habitat GTA’s control, and Habitat GTA does not endorse in any manner whatsoever or accept any responsibility for the content or other material that may be contained on such websites, the use of such websites, or any products or services advertised on or sold through any such websites. Habitat GTA is not responsible for how such third parties collect, use or disclose your personal information, so it is important to familiarize yourself with their privacy policies before providing them with your personal information. Habitat GTA will not be liable under any circumstances for any damages whatsoever, direct or indirect, resulting from any use of any third party website linked to this website.
How to get more information?
This policy is the jurisdiction of the CEO in consultation with the Vice President of Fund and Partnership Development and the Senior Director, Marketing and Communications.
If you require more information, please: